- Who reviews the applications? Applications are reviewed by a committee of 8 Teaching Institute Committee members.
- Applications are reviewed using the rubric below. Taking into account the priority ranking and the rubric scores, committee consensus is used to arrive at a final participant list. Applications are reviewed using the rubric below and using the priority ranking committee consensus is used to arrive at a final participant list.
- Do you have to be a tenured or tenure track faculty to be selected? No, although priority is given to tenure and tenure track faculty, part time lecturers have been participants in past summer institutes.
2012 Teaching Institute Applicant Selection Rubric
|Application Question||Performance Standard|
|Weak (1)||Better (2)||Best (3)|
|A. Please tell us about the specific course you would like to redesign. Enrollment capacity, structure (lab, lecture, discussion, etc.), and where it fits into your department’s curriculum (GE, major, upper or lower division, etc.). Your response must be approximately 75 words or less||• Specific course not identifiedor• no course description provided||• specific course identified and some description provided||• Specific course identified and description complete|
|B. Please tell us about your course redesign ideas and describe what resources and training you need to support your work. Your response must be approximately 150 words or less.||• no mention of specific redesign ideas||• some mention of redesign ideasor• some mention of why course redesign is needed||• course redesign idea clearly articulated and resources and training is clearly articulatedor• need for course redesign is clearly articulated and as well as need for resources or training|
|C. Current technology (such as SacCT, electronic books and mobile devices) as well as emerging technology (Massive Online Open Courses or MOOCs, ‘Flipped classrooms’, and Learning Analytics) are impacting the way students learn and university faculty teach. Tell us about your current use of technology and your interest in emerging technologies. Your response must be approximately 150 words or less.||• no mention of specific technologies utilized in the course• minimal expressed interest in emerging technology||• vague or general reference to technology used in the classroom• general but not specific interest expressed in emerging technology||• lack of experience with technology clearly articulatedor• specific experience with technology such as Sac CT, PowerPoint, videos etc. clearly articulated and• Interest in specific emerging technologies, (MOOCs flipped classrooms, learning analytics, etc.) clearly articulated|
|D. Overall application quality||• application answers are only partially complete, no project vision is discernable||• application answers are complete but may not provide a project vision||• application answers are well thought out and consistent providing a project vision|
Applicants were selected based on the following criteria:
- Need for professional development opportunity
- Expressed interest and motivation to engage in course revision based on current and emerging technology
- Ability and commitment to participate in all Summer Teaching Institute activities
- New Tenure track Faculty
- Tenure track faculty
- Part time faculty or Lecturer with 3 year contracts and FERP faculty
- Part time faculty or Lecturer without 3 year contracts but with contract to teach next semester
- Graduate students or auditors (may attend as a guest but not eligible for an iPad unless supported by external grant)